Slumpy - Right-On Film Reviews

Monday 30 April 2012

The Third Man (1949)


In 7 words or less: Where is Harry Lime? Who cares

What's it all About? Novelist Holly Martins (Cotten) is invited to post world war II by friend Harry Lime (Wells) who offers him a job. Things aren't as they seem though.

Best bits? I liked the opening scene setting montagey bit.

Did it make you think thoughts? Yeah, the main one being, how on earth is this rated as a pulp noir thriller classic? I just found it flat out boring. I thought this film was supposed to be about Wells' Harry Lime and it is, except you don't get to see the blighter until about 1hr 30 mins in. What a jip. 

Where's that bloody Harry Lime?

The script is tight and the characters fairly entertaining but unfortunately it did nothing to really stand out. 

Here he is


Would you watch it again? No

Rating (out of 100%): This was a massive disappointment. I think the main reason it suffered was due the level of anticipation I had along with it's highly regarded place in cinema history. Ultimately, I give The Third Man a whimpering 45%
Follow Us On Twitter
Follow Us On Facebook
Subscribe to our Feed
Tumblr
Google+