Slumpy - Right-On Film Reviews

Friday 24 February 2012

The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984)

In 7 words or less: Muppets are back....and back on form

What's it all About? Kermit and the gang take their musical show to New York and attempt to get in on Broadway. Will they succeed? Will Fozzie tell a funny joke? Will The Swedish Chef yet again steal the show with his all too brief scene?

Best bits? Kermit disguised as a movie executive spouting off Hollywood catchphrases is priceless. The guys who runs the local cafe is all kinds of foreign immigrant gold and after the gang break up, the individual vignettes of their new lives are terrific.

Did it make you think thoughts? Knowing that this flick was about the muppets just being themselves filled me with joy and after about 5 minutes in I knew I was onto a winner here. The cameos are not overly used here which lets the focus remain on the frogs, bears, chickens and whatevers (Gonzo). 

I don't think the songs are as good as the first movie but this is countered by there not being too much fluff, which is something The Great Muppet Caper suffered from, and the film rattles along at a great pace. Most of all though the film contains so much charm that a massive amount of smiling is inevitable. It actually made me feel good. 



Would you watch it again? Man I sure am a muppoholic. I just love those guys so of course I will.

Rating (out of 100%): I rate this just above The Muppet Movie and am even planning the next watch in the coming months. I give The Muppets Take Manhattan a wacka wacka 89%
Follow Us On Twitter
Follow Us On Facebook
Subscribe to our Feed
Tumblr
Google+