Slumpy - Right-On Film Reviews

Tuesday 8 May 2012

Dog Soldiers (2002)

In 7 words or less: Soldiers vs Werewolves in the woods

What's it all About? A bunch of soldiers on a training exercise in the remote Scottish wilderness stumble upon a defenceless fellow soldier whose squad have seemingly vanished into thin air. Before they have time to think, the monsters in the woods make their presence known. 

Best bits? The pace. It's pretty much full on from start to finish.

Did it make you think thoughts? Firstly, this won't be winning any awards....well, that is to say it didn't win any awards. I think. I couldn't be bothered to check. Anyway, it's a pretty low budget horror romp that hits all the right notes. Average to terrible script, rarely-seen-on-camera monsters, over the top fight scenes and the obligatory twists and turns. 

My, what a lovely doghead you have

The acting is ok but it's Sean Pertwee's Sargent Wells along with his 'guts' that steal the show. The other characters are modestly fleshed out and are all given a fairly equal amount of screen time. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't see the final reveal coming although what it added to the overall story/plot I'm not sure. 

My, what lovely teeth you have

Would you watch it again? This is good stuff. If was on tv and I couldn't find the remote I'd probably watch it again. Actually, I think I'll give Neil Marshall's Doomsday a try now.

Rating (out of 100%): A very watchable British soldier/horror flick. I give Dog Soldiers a moon howling 69%
Follow Us On Twitter
Follow Us On Facebook
Subscribe to our Feed
Tumblr
Google+