Slumpy - Right-On Film Reviews

Thursday 31 May 2012

The Goon (2011)

In 7 words or less: Hockey fan/thug turns Hockey player/thug

What's it all About? Doug Glatt (Williams) works as bar security in a sleepy hockey loving town. Whilst at a local hockey game he gets into a fight with one of the players and proceeds to beat the crap out of him. His fighting skills don't go unnoticed and he soon finds himself on the team acting an enforcer (someone who provides the rough-housing on the ice). 

Not long after he is transferred to the minor league hockey team the Halifax Highlanders in a bid to  help protect their star player who has gone off the rails ever since being injured by the the hardest man in the league Ross 'The Boss' Rhea. At some point these two ice warriors will clash to see who is the toughest.

I want you

Best bits? The fights are pretty brutal, the relationships are spot on and Seann Scott-Williams is surprisingly good. The scene in the cafe where Rhea imparts some life knowledge on Glatt before their big showdown is nice. Also, the ending suggests this might be loosely based on actual events.

Did it make you think thoughts? Sure did. I thought this would be your pretty standard gross out comedy in the vein of American Pie (which I cannot stand with every fibre of my being), a Farrelly brothers flick or any of those other derivative teen based turdfests like Superbad. I have to question why I even watched it then. Hhhmm, must have been a slow day. Anyway, what surprised me was how weird this film felt. It wasn't what I had feared, yes there was comedy but this was balanced out with a slice of drama. 

Eat my fist!

Would you watch it again? Yeah, this film intrigues me for some reason. It also made me fire up the old Sega Megadrive and have a spin on NHL Hockey '94. What a game.

Rating (out of 100%): This benefited from not matching my low expectations. I give The Goon a slapshoting, ice-skating 73%
Follow Us On Twitter
Follow Us On Facebook
Subscribe to our Feed
Tumblr
Google+