Slumpy - Right-On Film Reviews

Wednesday 2 November 2011

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2011)

There was some trepidation in the Slump offices when The Chief said he was going to review the new Tintin film. Editor Ben Martin feared the worst and was heard cursing, 'You'll be harsh, don't be a hater'. Strong words, but after The Chief's recent string of low scores he may have had a right to be afraid..................or did he?

In 7 words or less: Spielberg shows us the new Indiana Jones

Best bits? There are two standout moments in a fairly faultless film. The first is the flashback that sees Captain Haddock's grandfather and his crew fight off a pirate attack in a marvellous sea battle. I wanted to watch that scene all over again as soon as it ended. The second is the truly breathtaking chase scene around the streets of Bagghar. The choreography and direction are a joy to behold and just as you think the chase is over, it kicks into another gear.

Did it make you think thoughts? I prepared myself for this by getting the snacks in. I wanted to create a real Saturday afternoon matinee boys own style atmosphere. The onion rings were nice, the christmas orange and cranberry jaffas a treat and the pomegranite juice was a welcome change to the usual fizzy popness. I did however overdo the pic n mix. I filled the tub with strictly sour cherries and sour strawberry laces. Consuming them all within the first 15 mins didn't help either. Anyway, on to the feature.

Wow, I mean just wow. This films looks unbelievable. It's definitely not a case of, 'the motion capture looks so real, why not just film it'. It had to be done in this format. At one point I actually thought my eyes were bleeding. I reached up to pad my cheeks and thankfully it was a false alarm. There's no denying Spielberg is one of the greatest directors of all time but after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I sighed a sigh. This however more than compensates. We get straight into the action and it doesn't let up until the final credits roll. Even then we are left with a thought of what is to come next. I saw a review by some chumpy website (ie not slump) which said the high amount of action scenes resulted in the characterisation and talky bits suffering. Whoever wrote that should reconsider their position as a film reviewer. In short, there is tons of characterisation on display here. We really get to know the leads and although Tintin may be the name on the box it is that Gollum fella, Andy Serkis, who steals the show as Captain Haddock. He bristles with presence and steals every scene he is in. As I left the multiplex I had a thought about how many computer generated 3D films come out and how many are absolute turd. Take note fellas, this is how it should be done.

Would you watch it again? Most definitely. How well it will do at the box office I don't know. What I do know is that as long as all the main players are involved I will eagerly await any sequels with bated breath.

Rating (out of 100%): It feels so much like an Indiana Jones adventure it's almost unreal. And I love me some Jones. If you don't like this, you don't like movies. I give this a action packed, adventurous 90%
Follow Us On Twitter
Follow Us On Facebook
Subscribe to our Feed
Tumblr
Google+