Slumpy - Right-On Film Reviews

Monday 14 November 2011

The Tourist (2010)


Dishing out all these recent high scores has left The Chief with somewhat of a headache. With this in mind I have decided to take a brief hiatus from the animated countdown before returning to the final two positions by taking in a Hollywood, popcorn(y) trash pic. If it is good I may have to keep up with the high scores... Not to spoil anything but I needn't have worried.

In 7 words or less: Depp/Jolie discover they have zero chemistry

Best bits? There are bits. Not sure if any of them are 'best'.

Did it make you think thoughts? Depp, oh Johnny Depp. What have you done? I realise that most actors have a stinker every now and then but this will leave a nasty smell for a long time to come. The plot on display here is ludicrous and not in an 'oh well, at least it's a good rolickin adventue' type of ludicrous. Some chopper told me this is a comedy. Due to it's awefullness it is a comedy but I'm sure all involved set out to make a thriller and not the next installment of Police Academy (Police Academy - Good franchise or not? answers on a postcard, or tweet) As I stated at the top of the review, The Depper and 'Lips' Jolie have zero chemistry and sleep walk through their roles. Add in the useless Paul Bettany and you're left with a failure of cataclysmic proportions. Oh yeah, the twist is horrifically predictable and groan-inducing at the same time.

Would you watch it again? No, in fact this movie is losing percentage points even as I write this review.

Rating (out of 100%): One of the strap lines was, 'From the writer of The Usual Suspects'. Really? Wow! What a fall from grace. I give this a tragically trudging 20%

What I really need now is a movie that will reaffirm my faith in the usually dependable Johnny Depp. Hhhmm, yes, there you are sitting on the bookshelf you wonderfully magnificent dvd you. Into the player you go. Johnny, all is forgiven. Review to follow. I'm already smiling thinking about what I have in store over the next hour and a half. Looks like the animated countdown will have to wait a little longer.

Follow Us On Twitter
Follow Us On Facebook
Subscribe to our Feed
Tumblr
Google+