Slumpy - Right-On Film Reviews

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Cars 2 (2011)

In 7 words or less: Global advertising campaign for merchandise.

Best bits? With pixar films it's always the small touches I like, the quirky little characters that aren't integral to the story etc. This has loads of that stuff going on and although I'm not sold on the concept of 'Cars' it does have massive scope to have fun with.

Quite enjoyed the jet setting theme that this one has, Tokyo, Italy (using a fictional city) and London all feature and all get the Pixar treatment.


The spy element that Finn McMissile (Michael Caine) brings is more than welcome and adds a much needed twist on the rather predictable, original concept. I also enjoyed the 'hot topic' plot driven by Sir Miles Axlerod (Eddie Izzard) as an alternative fuel guru vs a large oil conglomerate. Having said that I found the ending very confusing and not too sure which side came out looking best...

Did it make you think thoughts? I really wasn't interested in the first 'Cars' film and when I found out they were making a second I thought it was solely to shift merchandising units. It is that... But it's actually quite a fun ride in the process. There's no grand emotional arc in Cars like other Pixar efforts and it is clearly aimed squarely at the kids, maybe it was because I watched it with my 16 month old son that I'm being soft on it but we both had a great time and were fully entertained for the duration.

Would you watch it again? I imagine me and my boy will be watching this again, yes.

Rating (out of 100%): 74% A real surprise! Infinitely better than its predictable predecessor!
Follow Us On Twitter
Follow Us On Facebook
Subscribe to our Feed
Tumblr
Google+